TRACI LORDS ORDEAL!
GLENN CHARTRAND
2006-06-15 20:30:08 UTC
Traci Lords' Ordeal

I am erotically fixated on Traci Lords' mouth. I have been for many
years. Her petulant pout has inspired many juicy femme-on-femme
fantasies of mine, but what makes her mouth so very sexy to me is
knowing where it's been and what she's done with it. Who she's licked,
sucked, fucked and kissed, in films all the way from porn to John
Waters' Cry Baby and all the bad B-movies in between.

The determination and unrefined sex appeal of the trashy blonde isn't
lost on me at all, but in Traci Lords it's personified and launched
into the realm of icon. The very dirty past she struggles to keep in a
tightly closed closet gives her that much more of an aura of bad-girl
sexiness. Her pixie pucker, now self-proclaimed squeaky clean, screams
"dirty" more than ever before.

But Traci Lords moves through this mystique like a woman half-asleep
and half-awake, like a medicated bombshell, a lurid Ophelia. Nowhere is
this more evident than in Traci Lords: Underneath it All, her book
about her life as a troubled teen and a "together" grown-up. In it, as
in most authorized biographies written about people who are still
alive, we get a roughly filtered version of Traci's life experiences.
This is not a well-written book, nor does it seek any sort of
self-reflection above the typical higher moral ground sought by porn
stars who want mainstream acting careers. It's a piece of candy fluff,
as bad as you'd expect a book plucked from the supermarket shelf to be,
a sensational morality play about a girl who triumphed over evil. And
like all morality tales derived from far more interesting real-life
experiences, it is full of bizarre contradictions. But, unfortunately,
it falls short of the contradictions that make Traci such an appealing
symbol.

The narrative is an artifice of Traci's "voice," no doubt cobbled
together by the mysterious woman -- presumably the book's ghostwriter
-- who is mentioned nowhere in Traci's life as a meaningful character,
but appears in pictures near the book's end as Traci's "soul sister."
The roughshod voice gives an impossibly detailed account of Traci's
childhood which, while as exciting as watching paint dry, is punctuated
with Traci's first sexual experiences, early glimpses of the book's
stance on sexual morality. In a shockingly graphic description, Traci
is raped as a young teen, the scene described with more detail than in
any other sex scene in the rest of the book. This was a disturbing
feature to stumble across early in the book, though no more disturbing
than any "movie of the week's" handling of similar subject matter. And
I'm sure turning this book into a movie was an idea not far from the
writers' minds.

Traci runs away from home and becomes the biggest porn star, the most
outrageous, sex-hungry, wild woman to rule porn stardom -- and she
reigned for three years. This fact is not included in her book. Neither
is the fact that the starlet contract system -- the "contract girl" --
was invented to promote Ginger Lynn as the next, the better Traci
Lords. Studios had to compete with Lords' sexual ferocity, and devised
the contract girl system as sort of a big-studio "it-girl" marketing
campaign. The idea was well received -- but none of this is in Traci's
book.

Instead, we're told that Traci was drugged and coerced through her porn
career, and that she hardly made any movies at all. Everything Traci
does in the book is anchored by reminders that she was on drugs, that
she really didn't want to do it, and that at each turn she was
desperately trying get out of porn. In fact, we're beaten over the head
with these points so repeatedly, it's tough not to want to gloss over
the protestations and get to the good stuff.

Certainly, some of Traci's assertions may be true. Young kids do all
kinds of things. Adults and their peers manipulate them, boyfriends
mess with their heads and they do drugs to escape. But while Traci
disavows her porn past vehemently throughout the book, she does slip
and state "I was the Princess of Porn. They gave me awards at the Porn
Oscars." We also get brief peeks into the reality of Traci's
competitiveness with Ginger Lynn when Traci describes doing a scene
with Ginger:

"Ginger's moans grew louder. Didn't she ever shut up? I was pissed off
and disgusted by the thought of the upcoming lesbian scene I was
supposed to have with this bitch on wheels... She'd given me attitude
from the moment I'd met her a few months earlier, clearly seeing me as
competition. And she was right. Within months my tormented, aggressive
sex acts and youthful good looks stole her flavor-of-the-month title,
and she made sure I knew she didn't appreciate it one bit."

For someone who makes a point of being "unwilling and drugged," and
"desperately seeking a way out" of porn in every porn-related moment
the book describes, being the "Princess of Porn" seems an odd point to
drive home. At 18, Traci gets busted for being underage, and attempts a
comeback with her only legal adult film that she wrote, directed and
co-produced, Traci I Love You. The porn industry, angry as hell at
being duped by her fake ID -- and having their businesses and careers
put at risk by a troubled teenager -- stood back and allowed the
picture to flop. Charges were never pressed against Traci because she'd
used her ID to get a U.S. Passport, fooling even the government. Later
in the book, Traci calls the people she worked with in porn "child
pornographers," an after-the-fact accusation made reality only by Traci
herself.

Later, after a spate of B-movies, Traci is plucked from obscurity by
the master of irony, John Waters, casting her in Cry Baby as Johnny
Depp's girlfriend and, hilariously, as Patty Hearst's daughter. After
all the ups and downs, dragged out descriptions of Traci's struggle for
acting success, and her experiences behind the scenes on every set
she's ever been on, we find out at the end that Traci considers herself
"...another runaway, another molested child, another victim of sexual
predators." Her career ups and downs are plagued by her past; at each
turn we find her golden keys to Hollywood's superficial acceptance
being whisked away by the specter of her past. But underneath her
dreamlike trance, surely she knows that her past is the reason she's
even a blip on the present's radar. She even states, "I'm constantly
reminded all these years later that I was a teenage porn star by people
from all walks of life..."

But now, though our fantasies may make Traci into more than the sex
symbol she wants to be, and her porn past makes her a contemporary
cultural icon, Traci Lords hates porn. "...I just can't stomach it.
Today porn is everywhere I look... Porn stars play themselves on
television shows, appear on billboards and give interviews on how
'liberating' porn is for women. Well, I believe it's anything but... I
believe hard-core porn is desensitizing to the viewer and that it
objectifies its performers... I have never met one [performer] who
wasn't damaged by a business that makes it impossible to think of its
'stars' as human at all." To wit, in an MSNBC News interview, beloved
porn star and empowered performer Nina Hartley replied to Traci's
statements saying, "Well, I would invite her to come have lunch with
me."

Traci Lords: Underneath It All is a disappointment, but not an
unexpected one. But just imagine for a minute, if sexy pouty,
potty-mouthed Traci owned her porn past. If she reveled in the sexual
pleasure and power it gave her. If she understood the appeal of her
ironic countenance, her real-life white-trash Poison Ivy femme fatale
persona. Good girls gone bad are way more interesting than bad girls
gone good, don't you think? Someone wake Traci up from her ordeal and
tell her.
c***@nowhere.com.invalid
2006-06-23 14:56:52 UTC
Good review :)
Inline comments below.
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
Traci runs away from home and becomes the biggest porn star, the most
outrageous, sex-hungry, wild woman to rule porn stardom -- and she
reigned for three years. This fact is not included in her book. Neither
is the fact that the starlet contract system -- the "contract girl" --
was invented to promote Ginger Lynn as the next, the better Traci
Lords. Studios had to compete with Lords' sexual ferocity, and devised
the contract girl system as sort of a big-studio "it-girl" marketing
campaign. The idea was well received -- but none of this is in Traci's
book.
Is "contract girl" referring to the thing I read in another FAQ posted
here about how they paid her $10k/mo and furnished her with a car and
apt.?
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
Instead, we're told that Traci was drugged and coerced through her porn
career, and that she hardly made any movies at all. Everything Traci
does in the book is anchored by reminders that she was on drugs, that
she really didn't want to do it, and that at each turn she was
desperately trying get out of porn. In fact, we're beaten over the head
with these points so repeatedly, it's tough not to want to gloss over
the protestations and get to the good stuff.
Ya, after I read the other FAQ I pretty much started hating her as a
person (although not as a pornstar of course).
Sounded like she knew exactly what she was doing the whole time, and
although didn't cause it, had no qualms about risking everyone else's
future (and freedom due to jail) because of the evil application of the
law she knew she was causing them to unknowingly break.
The thing about the IRS and Ginger Lynn pretty much epitomizes the level
of most "law enforcement" people - lower than scum in a well.

I have no doubt the drugs thing is either total or partial BS, and either
way had no significant effect on her evolvement in porn. Especially
proven by the fact that AFAIK all accounts have her into it AFTER starting
in porn.
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
Certainly, some of Traci's assertions may be true. Young kids do all
kinds of things. Adults and their peers manipulate them, boyfriends
mess with their heads and they do drugs to escape. But while Traci
disavows her porn past vehemently throughout the book, she does slip
and state "I was the Princess of Porn. They gave me awards at the Porn
Oscars." We also get brief peeks into the reality of Traci's
competitiveness with Ginger Lynn when Traci describes doing a scene
I think she's basically shot all her credibility to hell thru a few key
lines, like "I only did a handful of films" which can be proven false.
Even if parts of several were shot at the same time and then broken up in
different releases, the backgrounds (the color of a couch, etc.) being
different proves otherwise.
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
"Ginger's moans grew louder. Didn't she ever shut up? I was pissed off
and disgusted by the thought of the upcoming lesbian scene I was
supposed to have with this bitch on wheels... She'd given me attitude
from the moment I'd met her a few months earlier, clearly seeing me as
competition. And she was right. Within months my tormented, aggressive
sex acts and youthful good looks stole her flavor-of-the-month title,
and she made sure I knew she didn't appreciate it one bit."
I guess history proved her wrong on that one :)

I've also never heard anything bad about Ginger, but tons about Traci.
Ginger seemed very "stand up" in the trial info, quite brave, but
unfortunately naive to anyone who knows the govt's obscene idea of
"justice"..
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
For someone who makes a point of being "unwilling and drugged," and
"desperately seeking a way out" of porn in every porn-related moment
the book describes, being the "Princess of Porn" seems an odd point to
drive home. At 18, Traci gets busted for being underage, and attempts a
comeback with her only legal adult film that she wrote, directed and
co-produced, Traci I Love You. The porn industry, angry as hell at
Hheheh, I know. Kinda hard to claim "I was a victim" when you're the one
producing it!
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
being duped by her fake ID -- and having their businesses and careers
put at risk by a troubled teenager -- stood back and allowed the
picture to flop. Charges were never pressed against Traci because she'd
used her ID to get a U.S. Passport, fooling even the government. Later
Cute how they can make all the mistakes they want and it's just "oh well",
but those who did nothing wrong get thrown in jail or costs millions in
legal problems. They of course being expected to be psychic and
omnipotent.
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
in the book, Traci calls the people she worked with in porn "child
pornographers," an after-the-fact accusation made reality only by Traci
herself.
Ya, disgusting. Knowing full well they she had completely duped them and
they did nothing wrong.
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
Later, after a spate of B-movies, Traci is plucked from obscurity by
the master of irony, John Waters, casting her in Cry Baby as Johnny
Depp's girlfriend and, hilariously, as Patty Hearst's daughter. After
I must not know some of that back story, I don't get it. Fill us in!
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
all the ups and downs, dragged out descriptions of Traci's struggle for
acting success, and her experiences behind the scenes on every set
she's ever been on, we find out at the end that Traci considers herself
"...another runaway, another molested child, another victim of sexual
predators." Her career ups and downs are plagued by her past; at each
turn we find her golden keys to Hollywood's superficial acceptance
being whisked away by the specter of her past. But underneath her
dreamlike trance, surely she knows that her past is the reason she's
even a blip on the present's radar. She even states, "I'm constantly
reminded all these years later that I was a teenage porn star by people
from all walks of life..."
If she had even a tiny shred of integrity she'd have kept doing porn! ;)
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
But now, though our fantasies may make Traci into more than the sex
symbol she wants to be, and her porn past makes her a contemporary
cultural icon, Traci Lords hates porn. "...I just can't stomach it.
Today porn is everywhere I look... Porn stars play themselves on
television shows, appear on billboards and give interviews on how
'liberating' porn is for women. Well, I believe it's anything but... I
believe hard-core porn is desensitizing to the viewer and that it
objectifies its performers... I have never met one [performer] who
wasn't damaged by a business that makes it impossible to think of its
'stars' as human at all." To wit, in an MSNBC News interview, beloved
porn star and empowered performer Nina Hartley replied to Traci's
statements saying, "Well, I would invite her to come have lunch with
me."
I love Nina's comments any time she says anything public. Good egg there
:) Too bad on that terrible boob job though. I wonder if she got it
fixed later.
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
Traci Lords: Underneath It All is a disappointment, but not an
unexpected one. But just imagine for a minute, if sexy pouty,
Ya have to watch the trainwreck, like it or not ;)
Post by GLENN CHARTRAND
potty-mouthed Traci owned her porn past. If she reveled in the sexual
pleasure and power it gave her. If she understood the appeal of her
ironic countenance, her real-life white-trash Poison Ivy femme fatale
persona. Good girls gone bad are way more interesting than bad girls
gone good, don't you think? Someone wake Traci up from her ordeal and
tell her.
Mmm, yes, but wouldn't you like to grab up an ex-porn star or stripper and
know you've got the "goods" millions have lusted for, but now she's all
yours because she's "reformed"! Sort of like having your cake and eating
it too :)
For email response, or CC: corpusculent.sproinger-***@t-bigfoot.com